Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cancer, can't believe I said it! (Choriocarcinoma)

So I debated long and hard about this, to share or not to share? I tend to be a very private person, especially with bad news but there is a lesson in everything so I have a feeling my lesson is to be more open communicate ask for help and share good or bad so here it goes. In Aug. I miscarried I didn't tell anyone at the time but my cycle never returned to normal I ended up having a period for a long time like months long, so I finally went to the Doc. He did some blood work and gave me some pills and I went home. No big deal. A couple days later I get the call you need to do an ultrasound you blood work wasn't good. So I go there is a mass in my uterus the guys says it look likes a molar pregnancy. Then two hours later I get a call come in you need to talk to the Doc. The Doc says you have a molar Pregnancy you need a D&C but it's a special one so you need to be in St. George tomorrow by nine. So off we go, we see the surgeon he tells us to wait for the call and then we go down they do the D&C and we're back home. I'm wiped out after the surgery so tired but I'm hopeful. Then two day later the bleeding returns I get worried but I have no idea what's going on. A few days later the surgeon calls and says we just got the biopsy results and it's cancer. So I booked you a CT scan and an app. with the oncologist. This was thur. Apr. 1st, but it was no joke. Can you imagine calling your family on April Fools to tell them you have cancer Yeah that was good times,Heavenly Father has to get his giggles some how. It was a long wait till our app. but on Wed. we went, the oncologist said we need more than just a ct scan we need a brain mri and blood work too. He diagnosed me with Chorio carcinoma. It's a very treatable cancer but it's spreads quickly and easily following the blood flow. so they had to check the brain, lungs, liver, kidneys, well that's all I can remember. So after all the tests they told us to come back tomorrow. We have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to St. George for all these app. so me and Ry have had lots of quality time lately. So we went back on Thur. the 8th. The oncologist said that the cancer had spread to my lungs but no where else, that is a good thing he said the lungs are easy to treat he said I was at stage IIIB and was high risk so they had to be aggressive with the treatment. He said Chemo would start on thur. one week from today. He also said I needed to think about doing a hysterectomy because this cancer can come back but I'm young and need to decide if I was done having children. I told him I wanted it done cause the kids I have are my priority and I want to be healthy for them. So he said he would try to schedule the surgery for early next week but it might have to be after the chemo is done because the tumor in my uterus is very large and they might not operate till the chemo has shrunk it. The Chemo will be in two week rounds for 12 to 18 weeks. the schedule is 2 ivs on thurs followed by a 12 hr. drip then fri two more ivs then three days of this chemo pill then thurs. two ivs then the whole thing starts over on the next thur. It will be intense and my hair will be gone by week three but my spirits are high I'm so grateful it's me and not one of my kids. I'm grateful my mom can come up to help and I have a very supportive and loving husband. Right now I don't need anything but your love support and prayers. I know this is a lot to take in my mind can barely come to grips with it but just know I'm ok I know I will be fine once this is over and you know I'll look so sexy with my bald head everybody will want to shave theirs. I'll try to update this every week so that you guys are informed. But please no sad cancer stories unless you have tips or tricks from your own chemo experience.

22 comments:

Teena Kephart said...

Starla -

My dear lovely lady. I am sorry to hear of this misfortune. I will be thinking of you and have you in my prayers. Stay strong and positive. It's amazing the power of positive thinking and hope. Hugs to you and your family.

Peace and Love
Teena

Tara said...

You are going to be so sexy. There will be nothing sexier than a bald Starla. Don't lie I know deep down you have always wanted to try the bald thing and now you get your chance. I am just sorry it had to happen this way. I guess we are lucky to have a Heavenly Father who knows us better than we do. He loves you. I will pray for you. I love ya! Love Tara

Angie said...

Love you Star! Thinking about you and praying for you and your family.

The Holland Family said...

Oh Starla, I have been thinking about you for several days wondering if I could do anything for you. I saw Ryan today and decided to ask. (as you know where I work, and know that I would never say anything) I was so... what is the word... shocked...sad. But at the same time, if anyone can beat this head on, it's YOU GIRL! I told Ryan today that bad things happen to good people, as I well know (well I hope I'm a good person).

Sometimes I wonder, what we were thinking when we signed up for our trials in life. There has to be something good as a reward, don't ya think?

I will do whatever I can to help you. I do dishes, windows and will even babysit anytime. I also have a great ear for venting as I have done much of it myself in the past 7 years.

I'm praying for your girl. Love, Nicole

The Holland Family said...

Sorry, I thought I'd share this fine quote with you too.

".....Heaven's kindness will never depart from you, regardless of what happens......Bad days come to an end, faith always triumphs, and heavenly promises are always kept."

--Jeffrey R. Holland-

alpine alert-pali eternal said...

Starla, we are praying for you. Love you so much!

The Pali's said...

You will be in our prayers Starla. Love you!

Linz said...

Oh, Starla, I am so very sorry to hear this! I will be praying for you and your family. I live in Ivins, so if you ever need any help with your kids and your appts, please feel free to call me anytime. 673-4842. I'll be praying for you!

Lindsay

Carly said...

Just wanted to wish you good luck with the weeks to come, and you will be in my thoughts and prayers! If you need help with the boys I am sure they would have fun playing with mine. If ya need a break let me know.

by: Kim said...

Our prayers are with you. If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to call.
Love, The Willoughby's

Gaengy said...

Hi Starla...sorry it takes something like this to be in contact. I think of you and your family often even though we don't see or talk much. I am so sorry you are going through this trial right now. You have great faith and are an inspiration to us all. I will be praying for you and your dear family. I know the Lord is mindful of you at this tender time. May you feel of his love and comfort giving you strength. Love, Julie

Michelle said...

Oh star! you have the best attitude! You are going to kick cancers butt! I'll be praying for you!

Nicki said...

Sorry about church today. I meant to be there for a strength to you, but you ended up strengthening me instead! You amaze me! I love you!

Jennifer said...

Way to make it through church today. Talk about taking things head-on. You go girl!

The Wright Family said...

Holy Moly!! How come it always happens to the best people?? I think the Lord knows you well and knows you'll pull through this without letting it bring you down!! I got your message on facebook and was wondering if after all you decided you wanted your hair short again! Man, I'm sorry...but think of all the super cute bandanas you can make!! :) And props to you for donating all that thick gorgeous hair, someone else who's going through a hard time can benefit from your loss. That rocks. Anyway, I'm going to call you right now!!

Kim said...

Sorry to hear the news. You'll be in my prayers...
Kick butt!, and remember: this too shall pass.
You go girl!!

Unknown said...

You are in my prayers Star. You are gonna rock the bald head! :o)

Autumn said...

We'll be praying for you Starla!!

Rach said...

Starla, you are awesome. Your attitude amazes me and I just have loved you instantly!! You are an angel, and now you will be an angel rockin a wicked bald head!! I love your boys and anytime your mom can't be here I will help you out!! I know you won't call so I will be keeping tabs on you through steph! haha. Love you girl! You are going to beat this!!!

hugsnkisses said...

Gee I'd hate to have to take some days off (not), but you know I would for you. You guys just let me know when I can help out and I'll be there!
Love you!

Kathy's Boys said...

I don't know you, but I LOVE YOUR mom and whole family. Matt has been one of my son Landry's best friends. I've never seen a woman more faithful than your mom. She has taught me so much by her great example. Just want you to know my prayers will be with you and your husband. I will be thinking of you. Good luck with everything.

Susan said...

Starla,
I was working at the school where I teach this afternoon when Erica called me up and told me about your blog and your new challenge. I came home to read it for myself and I had to look at the whole blog. You are such a cute mom. Your boys are certainly blessed to have you. I am impressed by your positive attitude. What a blessing that is for your family as well as for yourself. I miss your family. I loved seeing the pictures of your mom. I always have to smile when a Holly Andrews quote pops into my head. I wish I could do something for you. We will keep you in our prayers.
Love, Susan Dyar